[dpdk-dev] kernel binding of devices + hotplug

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Fri Apr 13 18:31:21 CEST 2018

It's time to think (again) how we bind devices with kernel modules.
We need to decide how we want to manage hotplugged devices with DPDK.

A bit of history first.
There was some code in DPDK for bind/unbind, but it has been removed
in DPDK 1.7 - http://dpdk.org/commit/5d8751b83
Copy of the commit message (in 2014):
"
	The bind/unbind operations should not be handled by the eal.
	These operations should be either done outside of dpdk or
	inside the PMDs themselves as these are their problems.
"

The question raised at this time (4 years ago) is still under discussion.
Should we manage binding inside or outside DPDK?
Should it be controlled in the application or in the OS base?

As you know, we use dpdk-devbind.py.
This tool lacks two major features:
	- persistent configuration
	- hotplug

If we consider that the DPDK applications should be able to apply its own
policy to choose the devices to bind, then we need to implement binding
in the PMD (with EAL helpers).

On the other hand, if we consider that it is the system responsibility,
then we could choose systemd/udev and driverctl.

The debate is launched!

Please find more details in the references below.

Announce of driverctl:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-December/029500.html
Repository of driverctl:
	https://gitlab.com/driverctl/driverctl

Discussion about binding script and driverctl:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2018-April/095687.html

Patch to implement binding in DPDK (for hotplug):
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2018-April/095714.html

Discussion in the same hotplug series:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2018-April/097058.html