[dpdk-dev] rte_hash thread safe

Honnappa Nagarahalli Honnappa.Nagarahalli at arm.com
Tue Apr 24 08:12:44 CEST 2018

A gentle reminder,

I am curious to know if/how rte_hash is thread safe for lookups.It is not obvious to me how following code is thread safe:

_rte_hash_lookup_with_hash(const struct rte_hash *h, const void *key,

                                        hash_sig_t sig, void **data)

{

…

                        if (rte_hash_cmp_eq(key, k->key, h) == 0) {

                                if (data != NULL)

                                        *data = k->pdata;

}

a key could be deleted and another key inserted in its slot while the lookup is happening. For example, in the following sequence of events:
The slot has Key1,V1
Lookup Thread T1 compares the input key to Key1 and it matches. The thread gets context switched out Thread T2 deletes Key1.
Thread T2 inserts Key2 with value V2.
T1 reads the data from the slot and returns V2. This is incorrect.

If T1 is a worker/data plane thread, which is supposed to be pinned to the CPU, is it required to consider the case of T1 getting pre-empted?

However, this case can exist with T1 not getting pre-empted. i.e. Key1 can get deleted by thread T2 while T1 is doing the comparison.

In this case, 'k' is a memory pointer pointing to an array element. The memory itself is not freed. The code will still return the data associated with Key1 - assuming Key2 belongs to a different slot ID. But, it is possible that 'data' may not be valid anymore since it is owned by the application.

Regards,
Brijesh