[dpdk-dev] eventdev: method for finding out unlink status

Jerin Jacob jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com
Thu Aug 9 16:18:17 CEST 2018

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 13:14:40 +0000
> From: "Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren at intel.com>
> To: "Elo, Matias (Nokia - FI/Espoo)" <matias.elo at nokia.com>
> CC: "dev at dpdk.org" <dev at dpdk.org>, Jerin Jacob
>  <jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com>

The same arguments.

>    // 2) some unlinks fail, and others are -EBUSY: There is no appropriate ret code in that case
>    ret = rte_event_port_unlink(...);

It is going to be boolean right? like
rte_event_port_unlink_in_progress(), So do we need additional return code to express partially completed?

> }

I was thinking like this,
while (rte_event_port_unlink() == -EBUSY)
{
	rte_delay();
}

> Contrast that to the following, which I feel is simpler and more descriptive:
>
> int ret = rte_event_port_unlink(dev, port, queues[], nb_queues);
>
> while (rte_event_port_unlink_in_progress(dev, port) > 0)
>    rte_delay();
>

> Here the port_unlink() call can sanity-check the unlinks, and return -EINVAL if invalid requests,
> and we can detect other unlinks in progress too using the explicit API.
>
> Regarding adding an API / function-pointer, is there actually a measurable cost there?
> Are we willing to sacrifice code-readability and self-documentation?

I am fine either approach, at minimum, you can still return -EBUSY so
that loop look like this,

int ret = rte_event_port_unlink(dev, port, queues[], nb_queues);
while (ret == -EBUSY && rte_event_port_unlink_in_progress(dev, port) > 0)
	rte_delay();

So that, rte_event_port_unlink_in_progress() wont be called for other
drivers for normal cases.

# Other than that, I am still not able to understand, why not
application wait until rte_event_port_unlink() returns.

# What in real word use case, application can, do other than waiting
to complete rte_event_port_unlink(). If we try to put some logic in like,

while (rte_event_port_unlink_in_progress(dev, port) > 0){
	do_something();
}

The do_something() will not be called in some platform at all.

# Any idea on what will be the real world use case, where rte_event_port_unlink() called in fastpath?