[dpdk-dev] Flow Director vs. 5-tuple filters on a 10GbE Intel 82599 ES NIC

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Tue Dec 11 15:31:39 CET 2018

?CC-ing maintainers.

________________________________
De : Georgios Katsikas <katsikas.gp at gmail.com>
Envoyé : mardi 4 décembre 2018 11:41
À : dev at dpdk.org
Cc : Tom Barbette
Objet : Flow Director vs. 5-tuple filters on a 10GbE Intel 82599 ES NIC

Dear all,

I am performing rule installation/deletion benchmarks on a dual port 10 GbE Intel 82599 ES NIC using DPDK 18.11.
The benchmark installs increasing number of rules (5 to 8000), measures the rule installation rate and latency and then deletes the rules (measuring again the rule deletion rate/latency).
The rule sets comprise of rules with exact matches (no masks involved) as follows:

Simple rule
flow create 0 ingress pattern eth / ipv4 dst is 129.72.224.94 / end actions queue index 0 / end

More complicated rule
flow create 0 ingress pattern eth / ipv4 dst is 46.54.254.68 src is 49.75.141.195 proto is 17 / udp dst is 26561 src is 7242 / end actions queue index 0 / end

No matter how simple or complicated the rules are, I am not able to install more than 128 rules on this NIC.

Here comes my question

According to the specification<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.html>, this NIC can accommodate up to 128 5-tuple filters, which very well agrees with my observation above.
However, the same document states that this NIC can also accommodate up to 8000 Flow Director filters.
What is the practical difference between a 5-tuple and a Flow Director rule in this case? How can I exploit these 8k filters using DPDK 18.11?

Thanks in advance,
Georgios