[dpdk-dev] CONFIG_RTE_EAL_NUMA_AWARE_HUGEPAGES: no difference in memory pool allocations, when enabling/disabling this configuration

Asaf Sinai AsafSi at Radware.com
Sun Dec 16 10:44:44 CET 2018

Hi Anatoly,

Thank you very much for the useful explanations!

Thanks,
Asaf

-----Original Message-----
From: Burakov, Anatoly <anatoly.burakov at intel.com>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 12:10 PM
To: Asaf Sinai <AsafSi at Radware.com>; Ilya Maximets <i.maximets at samsung.com>; Hemant Agrawal <hemant.agrawal at nxp.com>; dev at dpdk.org; Thomas Monjalon <thomas at monjalon.net>
Cc: Ilia Ferdman <IliaF at Radware.com>; Sasha Hodos <SashaH at Radware.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] CONFIG_RTE_EAL_NUMA_AWARE_HUGEPAGES: no difference in memory pool allocations, when enabling/disabling this configuration

On 09-Dec-18 8:14 AM, Asaf Sinai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanations!
>
> So, what we understood from that, is the following (please correct, if it is wrong):
> Before 18.05 version:
> - Dividing huge pages between NUMAs was based, by default, on Linux good will.
> - Enforcing Linux to divide huge pages between NUMAs, required enabling configuration option "CONFIG_RTE_EAL_NUMA_AWARE_HUGEPAGES".
> - The enforcement was done via "libnuma" library.
>
>  From 18.05 version:
> - The mentioned configuration option is ignored, so that by default, all huge pages are allocated on NUMA 0.
> - if "libnuma" library exists in system, then huge pages will be divided between NUMAs, without any special configuration.
> - The above is relevant to architectures that support NUMA, e.g. X86 (which we use).
>
> Thanks,
> Asaf

Hi Asaf,

Before 18.05, the above description is correct.

Since 18.05, it's not _quite_ like that. There are two memory modes in
18.05 - default and legacy. Legacy mode pretty much behaves like
pre-18.05 code.

Default memory mode without the CONFIG_RTE_EAL_NUMA_AWARE_HUGEPAGES for all intents and purposes should be considered unsupported for post-18.05 code, and libnuma should be considered to be a hard dependency for non-legacy, NUMA-aware code. Without this option, EAL will disallow allocations on sockets other than 0, but on a NUMA-enabled system, you won't necessarily get memory from socket 0 - it will *say* it is on socket 0, but it may not *actually* be the case, because without libnuma we do not check where it was allocated.

Reasons for the above behavior is simple: legacy mem mode preallocates all memory in advance. This gives us an opportunity to figure out page socket affinity at initialization, and not worry about it afterwards.
Non-legacy mode doesn't have the luxury of preallocating all memory in advance, instead we allocate memory on the fly - which means that whenever an allocation is requested, we need memory not just anywhere (like in legacy init case), but located on a specific socket - we cannot "sort it out later" like we do with legacy mem. Without libnuma, we cannot get this functionality.

Anatoly