[dpdk-dev] Eventdev DSW and eth_rx_adapters

Venky Venkatesh vvenkatesh at paloaltonetworks.com
Tue Dec 18 02:46:58 CET 2018

Hi,
I am relatively new to DPDK and am trying to use the eventdev library.
The sw_evdev runs on a single core (service core). And then there is rte_event_eth_rx_adapter_ which links the sw_evdev to the ethdev. This adapter is also service core based. The DSW runs on all cores – and thus doesn’t use service cores. If we use the existing adapter, in the DSW paradigm:

  *   The benefit of DSW is diminished as the packets would first have to go thru a possible choke point viz. the service core.
  *   I don’t have an understanding of this: the eventdev port corresponding to packet RX would be on a service core due to the adapter being on the service core. Therefore when the adapter calls event_enqueue to enqueue into the scheduler, does it mean that the DSW portion would also run on the service core as well?
  *   Besides, (more importantly) the service core model is also not preferable to us as it sets aside cores outside of the application – which is a costly trade for us.

How then is the user of the eventdev-with-DSW expected to interface with ethdev? Should the application call the ethdev directly and then call the eventdev-with-DSW-underneath directly (much like what the current adapter is doing)? Is there something already existing for this so that we don’t reinvent the wheel?

Thanks
-Venky