[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2 00/23] Dynamic memory allocation for DPDK

Yongseok Koh yskoh at mellanox.com
Wed Feb 14 03:01:56 CET 2018

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 2:03 AM, Burakov, Anatoly <anatoly.burakov at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your feedback, good to hear we're on the right track. I already have a prototype implementation of this working, due for v1 submission :)

Anatoly,

One more suggestion. Currently, when populating mempool, there's a chance to
have multiple chunks if system memory is highly fragmented. However, with your
new design, it is unlikely to happen unless the system is really low on memory.
Allocation will be dynamic and page by page. With your v2, you seemed to make
minimal changes on mempool. If allocation fails, it will still try to gather
fragments from malloc_heap until it acquires enough objects and the resultant
mempool will have multiple chunks. But like I mentioned, it is very unlikely and
this will only happen when the system is short of memory. Is my understanding
correct?

If so, how about making a change to drop the case where mempool has multiple
chunks?

Thanks
Yongseok