[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2] doc compression API for DPDK

Ahmed Mansour ahmed.mansour at nxp.com
Thu Feb 15 20:51:21 CET 2018

/// snip ///

>> run into

>> stream pointer per op and one
>>> stream can have only one BFINAL (as stream is one complete compressed data) but looks like you're
>> suggesting a case where one op
>>> can carry multiple independent streams? and thus multiple BFINAL?! , such as, below here is op
>> pointing to more than one streams

>>> [Ahmed] Correct. We found that in some storage applications the user
>>> does not know where exactly the BFINAL is. They rely on zlib software
>>> today. zlib.net software halts at the first BFINAL. Users put multiple
>>> streams in one op and rely on zlib to  stop and inform them of the end
>>> location of the first stream.
>> [Shally] Then this is practically case possible on decompressor and decompressor doesn't regard flush
>> flag. So in that case, I expect PMD to internally reset themselves (say in case of zlib going through cycle
>> of deflateEnd and deflateInit or deflateReset) and return with status = SUCCESS with updated produced
>> and consumed. Now in such case, if previous stream also has some footer followed by start of next
>> stream, then I am not sure how PMD / lib can support that case. Have you had practically run of such
>> use-case on zlib? If yes, how then such application handle it in your experience?
>> I can imagine for such input zlib would return with Z_FLUSH_END after 1st BFINAL is processed to the
>> user. Then application doing deflateReset() or Init-End() cycle before starting with next. But if it starts
>> with input that doesn't have valid zlib header, then likely it will throw an error.
>>
> [Fiona] The consumed and produced tell the Application hw much data was processed up to
> the end of the first deflate block encountered with a bfinal set.
> If there is data, e.g. footer after the block with bfinal, then I think it must be the responsibility of
> the application to know this, the PMD can't have any responsibility for this.
> The next op sent to the PMD must start with a valid deflate block.
[Ahmed] Agreed. This is exactly what I expected. In our case we support
gzip and zlib header/footer processing, but that does not fundamentally
change the setup. The user may have other meta data after the footer
which the PMD is not responsible for. The PMD should stop processing
depending on the mode. In raw DEFLATE, it should stop immediately. In
other modes it should stop after the footer. We also have a mode in our
PMD to simply continue decompression. In that case there cannot be
header/footer between streams in raw DEFLATE. That mode can be enabled
perhaps at the session level in the future with a session parameter at
setup time. We call it "member continue". In this mode the PMD plows
through as much of the op as possible. If it hits incorrectly setup data
then it returns what it did decompress successfully and the error code
in decompressing the data afterwards.