[dpdk-dev] [RFC] testpmd: handle UFO packets

Tan, Jianfeng jianfeng.tan at intel.com
Wed Feb 28 15:53:56 CET 2018

Hi Jason,

On 2/28/2018 10:10 PM, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2018年02月24日 17:35, Jianfeng Tan wrote:
>> Mostly likely, we will make UFO as a kind of GSO engine.
>>
>> For short term, we can just call APIs in librte_ip_frag to fragment.
>>
>> To test:
>>
>> 1. start testpmd with two vhost port.
>>   $ set fwd csum
>>   $ start
>>
>> 2. start vm0 connected to vhost0;
>>   $ ifconfig xxx 1.1.1.1/24 up
>>   $ ethtool -K xxx ufo on
>>
>> 3. start vm1 connected to vhost1;
>>   $ ifconfig xxx 1.1.1.2/24 up
>>   $ ethtool -K xxx ufo on
>>   $ (Fill a large file named 1.txt)
>>   $ cat 1.txt | socat - udp-sendto:1.1.1.1:5000
>
> Just a reminder, UFO was completely removed upstream.

Thank you for the information.

Saw the deprecation patch at Linux v4.16-rc3, wonder what "version+"
counts "merden kernels" in "modern kernels will no longer generate UFO
skbs"? And this is mostly for stock VMs with old kernels to help the
migration from kernel vswitch to user space vswitch.

Will other OSes generate UFO packets, FreeBSD, Windows? Anyone can
provide such information?

Thanks,
Jianfeng