[dpdk-dev] [RFC] mlx5: update NIC documentation on RDMA core version

Nélio Laranjeiro nelio.laranjeiro at 6wind.com
Thu Jan 4 08:54:54 CET 2018

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 07:23:30AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 08:52:01 +0100
> Nelio Laranjeiro <nelio.laranjeiro at 6wind.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > Seems you missed an important point, MLNX_OFED is still supported with
> > this driver allowing it to work on stable releases like strict debian 9
> > i.e. without updating the Linux kernel.
>
> So the documentation should reflect the two possibilities more clearly.
>
> OFED version > ??
> or RDMA core version >= 16
>
> The current documentation is unclear and doesn't help the users.

It is explained in the section "21.5.1. Installation" [1] of the mlx5
documentation.

I am not against modifying the documentation to make it more clearer,
but we need to keep both information MLNX_OFED with un-modified
distributions or Linux Kernel upstream with RDMA-Core for those who have
modified their Linux Kernel.

Thanks,

[1] http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/mlx5.html#installation

--