[dpdk-dev] standardize device identification

Finn Christensen fc at napatech.com
Fri Jan 5 12:09:31 CET 2018

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas at monjalon.net]
    Sent: 5. januar 2018 09:40
    To: Finn Christensen <fc at napatech.com>
    Cc: dev at dpdk.org; Yuanhan Liu <yliu at fridaylinux.org>; Adrien Mazarguil
    <adrien.mazarguil at 6wind.com>; Ciara Loftus <ciara.loftus at intel.com>;
    Kevin Traynor <ktraynor at redhat.com>; stephen at networkplumber.org;
    ferruh.yigit at intel.com
    Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] standardize device identification

    05/01/2018 08:52, Finn Christensen:
    > From: Thomas
    > > It may look like this:

    bus=BUS_NAME,id=BUS_ID/class=CLASS_NAME,dev_port=PORT_NUM,

    mac=MAC_ADDRESS/driver=DRIVER_NAME,driverspecificproperty=VALUE
    [...]
    > We also need to distinguish between multiple ports sitting on same PCI
    bus ID.
    > and from our point of view, this will fully cover our needs.

    Which property can help to distinguish Napatech ports?
    Can you use class=eth,dev_port=X ?
    The dev_port property will use /sys/class/net/DEV/dev_port on Linux. Is it
    OK for you?

Actually, what we were thinking of was using the mac property in the class
category to distinguish our ports.
For instance:
	-w bus=pci,id=0000:01:00.0/class=eth,mac=00:11:22:33:44:55
or simply:
	-w class=eth,mac=00:11:22:33:44:55

We will not be able to support the dev_port property, that will not work for us.
At least not for now.

Regards,
Finn