[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2] doc compression API for DPDK

Verma, Shally Shally.Verma at cavium.com
Wed Jan 10 13:55:12 CET 2018

HI Ahmed

[Shally] It is there but applicable for stateful operation type (please refer to handling out_of_space under "Stateful Section").
By definition, "stateless" here means that application (such as IPCOMP) knows maximum output size guaranteedly and ensure that uncompressed data size cannot grow more than provided output buffer.
Such apps can submit an op with type = STATELESS and provide full input, then PMD assume it has sufficient input and output and thus doesn't need to maintain any contexts after op is processed.
If application doesn't know about max output size, then it should process it as stateful op i.e. setup op with type = STATEFUL and attach a stream so that PMD can maintain relevant context to handle such condition.

> > D.2 Compression API Stateful operation
> >  A Stateful operation in DPDK compression means application invokes
> enqueue burst() multiple times to process related chunk of data either
> because
> > - Application broke data into several ops, and/or
> > - PMD ran into out_of_space situation during input processing
> >
> > In case of either one or all of the above conditions, PMD is required to
> maintain state of op across enque_burst() calls and
> > ops are setup with op_type RTE_COMP_OP_STATEFUL, and begin with
> flush value = RTE_COMP_NO/SYNC_FLUSH and end at flush value
> RTE_COMP_FULL/FINAL_FLUSH.
> >
> > D.2.1 Stateful operation state maintenance
> > It is always an ideal expectation from application that it should parse
> through all related chunk of source data making its mbuf-chain and enqueue
> it for stateless processing.
> > However, if it need to break it into several enqueue_burst() calls, then an
> expected call flow would be something like:
> >
> > enqueue_burst( |op.no_flush |)
>
> [Ahmed] The work is now in flight to the PMD.The user will call dequeue
> burst in a loop until all ops are received. Is this correct?
>
> > deque_burst(op) // should dequeue before we enqueue next

[Shally] Yes. Ideally every submitted op need to be dequeued. However this illustration is specifically in context of stateful op processing to reflect if a stream is broken into chunks, then each chunk should be submitted as one op at-a-time with type = STATEFUL and need to be dequeued first before next chunk is enqueued.

> > enqueue_burst( |op.no_flush |)
> > deque_burst(op) // should dequeue before we enqueue next
> > enqueue_burst( |op.full_flush |)
>
> [Ahmed] Why now allow multiple work items in flight? I understand that
> occasionaly there will be OUT_OF_SPACE exception. Can we just distinguish
> the response in exception cases?

[Shally] Multiples ops are allowed in flight, however condition is each op in such case is independent of each other i.e. belong to different streams altogether.
Earlier (as part of RFC v1 doc) we did consider the proposal to process all related chunks of data in single burst by passing them as ops array but later found that as not-so-useful for PMD handling for various reasons. You may please refer to RFC v1 doc review comments for same.

> > Here an op *must* be attached to a stream and every subsequent
> enqueue_burst() call should carry *same* stream. Since PMD maintain ops
> state in stream, thus it is mandatory for application to attach stream to such
> ops.
> >
> > D.2.2 Stateful and Out_of_Space
> > If PMD support stateful and run into OUT_OF_SPACE situation, then it is
> not an error condition for PMD. In such case, PMD return with status
> RTE_COMP_OP_STATUS_OUT_OF_SPACE with consumed = number of input
> bytes read and produced = length of complete output buffer.
> > Application should enqueue op with source starting at consumed+1 and
> output buffer with available space.
>
> [Ahmed] Related to OUT_OF_SPACE. What status does the user recieve in a
> decompression case when the end block is encountered before the end of
> the input? Does the PMD continue decomp? Does it stop there and return
> the stop index?

[Shally] Before I could answer this, please help me understand your use case . When you say  "when the end block is encountered before the end of the input?" Do you mean -
"Decompressor process a final block (i.e. has BFINAL=1 in its header) and there's some footer data after that?" Or
you mean "decompressor process one block and has more to process till its final block?"
What is "end block" and "end of input" reference here?

> > D.2.3 Sliding Window Size
> > ------------------------------------
> > Every PMD will reflect in its algorithm capability structure maximum length
> of Sliding Window in bytes which would indicate maximum history buffer
> length used by algo.
> >
> > 2. Example API illustration
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > Following is an illustration on API usage  (This is just one flow, other variants
> are also possible):
> > 1. rte_comp_session *sess = rte_compressdev_session_create
> (rte_mempool *pool);
> > 2. rte_compressdev_session_init (int dev_id, rte_comp_session *sess,
> rte_comp_xform *xform, rte_mempool *sess_pool);
> > 3. rte_comp_op_pool_create(rte_mempool ..)
> > 4. rte_comp_op_bulk_alloc (struct rte_mempool *mempool, struct
> rte_comp_op **ops, uint16_t nb_ops);
> > 5. for every rte_comp_op in ops[],
> >     5.1 rte_comp_op_attach_session (rte_comp_op *op, rte_comp_session
> *sess);
> >     5.2 op.op_type = RTE_COMP_OP_STATELESS
> >     5.3 op.flush = RTE_FLUSH_FINAL
> > 6. [Optional] for every rte_comp_op in ops[],
> >     6.1 rte_comp_stream_create(int dev_id, rte_comp_session *sess, void
> **stream);
> >     6.2 rte_comp_op_attach_stream(rte_comp_op *op, rte_comp_session
> *stream);
>
> [Ahmed] What is the semantic effect of attaching a stream to every op? will
> this application benefit for this given that it is setup with op_type STATELESS

[Shally] By role, stream is data structure that hold all information that PMD need to maintain for an op processing and thus it's marked device specific. It is required for stateful processing but optional for statelss as PMD doesn't need to maintain context once op is processed unlike stateful.
It may be of advantage to use stream for stateless to some of the PMD. They can be designed to do one-time per op setup (such as mapping session params) during stream_create() in control path than data path.

> > 7.for every rte_comp_op in ops[],
> >      7.1 set up with src/dst buffer
> > 8. enq = rte_compressdev_enqueue_burst (dev_id, qp_id, &ops, nb_ops);
> > 9. do while (dqu < enq) // Wait till all of enqueued are dequeued
> >     9.1 dqu = rte_compressdev_dequeue_burst (dev_id, qp_id, &ops, enq);
>
> [Ahmed] I am assuming that waiting for all enqueued to be dequeued is not
> strictly necessary, but is just the chosen example in this case

[Shally] Yes. By design, for burst_size>1 each op is independent of each other. So app may proceed as soon as it dequeue any.