[dpdk-dev] [RFC] tunnel endpoint hw acceleration enablement

John Daley (johndale) johndale at cisco.com
Thu Jan 11 22:45:07 CET 2018

Hi Declan and Shahaf,

I don't quite understand what you mean by tunnel and flow here. Can you define exactly what you mean? Flow is an overloaded word in our world. I think that defining it will make understanding the RFC a little easier.

Taking VxLAN, I think of the tunnel as including up through the VxLAN header, including the VNI. If you go by this definition, I would consider a flow to be all packets with the same VNI and the same 5-tuple hash of the inner packet. Is this what you mean by tunnel (or TEP) and flow here?

With these definitions, VPP for example might need up to a couple thousand TEPs on an interface and each TEP could have hundreds or thousands of flows. It would be quite possible to have 1 rte flow rule per TEP (or 2- ingress/decap and egress/encap). The COUNT action could be used to count the number of packets through each TEP. Is this adequate, or are you proposing that we need a mechanism to get stats of flows within each TEP? Is that the main point of the API? Assuming no need for stats on a per TEP/flow basis is there anything else the API adds?

> I can't see how the existing
> ethdev API could be used for statistics as a single ethdev could be supporting
> may concurrent TEPs, therefore we would either need to use the extended
> stats with many entries, one for each TEP, or if we treat a TEP as an attribute
> of a port in a similar manner to the way rte_security manages an IPsec SA,
> the state of each TEP can be monitored and managed independently of both
> the overall port or the flows being transported on that endpoint.

Assuming we can define one rte_flow rule per TEP, does what you propose give us anything more than just using the COUNT action?

> > As for the capabilities - what specifically you had in mind? The current
> usage you show with tep is with rte_flow rules. There are no capabilities
> currently for rte_flow supported actions/pattern. To check such capabilities
> application uses rte_flow_validate.
>
> I envisaged that the application should be able to see if an ethdev can
> support TEP in the rx/tx offloads, and then the rte_tep_capabilities would
> allow applications to query what tunnel endpoint protocols are supported
> etc. I would like a simple mechanism to allow users to see if a particular
> tunnel endpoint type is supported without having to build actual flows to
> validate.

I can see the value of that, but in the end wouldn't the API call rte_flow_validate anyways? Maybe we don't add the layer now or maybe it doesn't really belong in DPDK? I'm in favor of deferring the capabilities API until we know it's really needed.  I hate to see special capabilities APIs start sneaking in after we decided to go the rte_flow_validate route and users are starting to get used to it.

> > Regarding the creation/destroy of tep. Why not simply use rte_flow API
> and avoid this extra control?
> > For example - with 17.11 APIs, application can put the port in isolate mode,
> and insert a flow_rule to catch only IPv4 VXLAN traffic and direct to some
> queue/do RSS. Such operation, per my understanding, will create a tunnel
> endpoint. What are the down sides of doing it with the current APIs?
>
> That doesn't enable encapsulation and decapsulation of the outer tunnel
> endpoint in the hw as far as I know. Apart from the inability to monitor the
> endpoint statistics I mentioned above. It would also require that you
> redefine the endpoints parameters ever time to you wish to add a new flow
> to it. I think the having the rte_tep object semantics should also simplify the
> ability to enable a full vswitch offload of TEP where the hw is handling both
> encap/decap and switching to a particular port.

If we have the ingress/decap and egress/encap actions and 1 rte_flow rule per TEP and use the COUNT action, I think we get all but the last bit. For that, perhaps the application could keep  ingress and egress rte_flow template for each tunnel type (VxLAN, GRE, ..). Then copying the template and filling in the outer packet info and tunnel Id is all that would be required. We could also define these in rte_flow.h?