[dpdk-dev] Memory allocated using rte_zmalloc() has non-zeros

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Jul 18 22:58:17 CEST 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:52:12 +0300
Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko at solarflare.com> wrote:

> On 18.07.2018 20:18, Burakov, Anatoly wrote:
> > On 18-Jul-18 4:20 PM, Andrew Rybchenko wrote:
> >> Hi Anatoly,
> >>
> >> I'm investigating issue which finally comes to the fact that memory
> >> allocated using
> >> rte_zmalloc() has non zeros.
> >>
> >> If I add memset just after allocation, everything is perfect and
> >> works fine.
> >>
> >> I've found out that memset was removed from rte_zmalloc_socket() some
> >> time ago:
> >>
> >>  >>>
> >> commit b78c9175118f7d61022ddc5c62ce54a1bd73cea5
> >> Author: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy <sergio.gonzalez.monroy at intel.com>
> >> Date:   Tue Jul 5 12:01:16 2016 +0100
> >>
> >>      mem: do not zero out memory on zmalloc
> >>
> >>      Zeroing out memory on rte_zmalloc_socket is not required anymore
> >> since all
> >>      allocated memory is already zeroed.
> >>
> >>      Signed-off-by: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy
> >> <sergio.gonzalez.monroy at intel.com>
> >> <<<
> >>
> >> but may be something has changed now that made above statement false.
> >>
> >> I observe the problem when memory is reallocated. I.e. I configure 7
> >> queues,
> >> start, stop, reconfigure to 3 queues, start. Memory is allocated on
> >> start and
> >> freed on stop, since we have less queues on the second start it is
> >> allocated
> >> in a different way and reuses previously allocated/freed memory.
> >>
> >> Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?
> >>
> >> Andrew.
> >>

> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > I will look into it first thing tomorrow. In general, we memset(0) on
> > free, and kernel gives us zeroed out pages initially, so the most
> > likely point of failure is that i'm not overwring some malloc headers
> > correctly on free.
>
> OK, at least now I know how it is supposed to work in theory.
>
> The following region was allocated  (the second number below is pointer
> plus size)
> ALLOC 0x7fffa3264080-0x7fffa32640b8
>
> Not zerod address is 16 bytes before:
> (gdb) p/x ((uint64_t *)0x7fffa3264070)[0]
> $4 = 0x4000000002
> (gdb) p/x ((uint64_t  *)0x7fffa3264070)[1]
> $5 = 0x80
>
> then freed
> FREE 0x7fffa3264080-0x7fffa32640b8
>
> but above values (gdb) are still the same
> then it is allocated as the part of bigger memory chunk
> ALLOC 0x7fffa3245b80-0x7fffa3265fd8
> which should contain zeros, but above values are still the same.
>
> It is interesting that it looks like it was the first block freed on the
> port stop. I'm not 100% sure since I've put printouts to my allocation
> wrapper, not EAL.
>
> Many thanks,
> Andrew.

memset here is what is supposed to clear the data.

struct malloc_elem *
malloc_elem_free(struct malloc_elem *elem)
{
	void *ptr;
	size_t data_len;

	ptr = RTE_PTR_ADD(elem, MALLOC_ELEM_HEADER_LEN + elem->pad);
	data_len = elem->size - elem->pad - MALLOC_ELEM_OVERHEAD;

	elem = malloc_elem_join_adjacent_free(elem);

	malloc_elem_free_list_insert(elem);

	elem->pad = 0;

	/* decrease heap's count of allocated elements */
	elem->heap->alloc_count--;

	memset(ptr, 0, data_len);

Maybe data_len is not correct either because of bug, or your application clobbered
the malloc reserved regions  in the element.

More likely, gcc is incorrectly optimizing this away.

https://wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/display/c/MSC06-C.+Beware+of+compiler+optimizations
https://www.cryptologie.net/article/419/zeroing-memory-compiler-optimizations-and-memset_s/