[dpdk-dev] [RFC] eventdev: event tx adapter APIs

Rao, Nikhil nikhil.rao at intel.com
Tue Jun 5 11:24:58 CEST 2018

On 6/4/2018 10:41 AM, Jerin Jacob wrote:
> [...]
Yes, I see the queue/sched type change approach followed in
pipeline_worker_tx.c, a queue id can be provided in
rte_event_eth_tx_adapter_conf

+struct rte_event_eth_tx_adapter_conf {
+	uint8_t event_port_id;
+	/**< Event port identifier, the adapter dequeues mbuf events from this
+	 * port.
+	 */
+	uint16_t tx_metadata_off;
+	/**<  Offset of struct rte_event_eth_tx_adapter_meta in the private
+	 * area of the mbuf
+	 */
+	uint32_t max_nb_tx;
+	/**< The adapter can return early if it has processed at least
+	 * max_nb_tx mbufs. This isn't treated as a requirement; batching may
+	 * cause the adapter to process more than max_nb_tx mbufs.
+	 */
+};

</sniped>

>> The worker core will receive events pointing to mbufs that need to be
>> transmitted to different
>> ports/queues, as described above. The port and the queue will be populated
>> in the mbuf and the
>> API can be as below
>>
>> uint16_t rte_event_eth_tx_adapter_enqueue(uint8_t instance_id, uint8_t event_port_id, const struct rte_event ev[], uint16_t nb_events);
>>
>> Let me know if that works for you.
>
> Yes. That API works for me. I think, we can leverage "struct
> rte_eventdev" area for adding new function pointer. Just like
> enqueue_new_burst, enqueue_forward_burst variants, we can add one more
> there, so that we can reuse that hot cacheline for all fastpath function pointer case.
> That would translate to adding "uint8_t dev_id" on the above API.
The dev_id can be derived from the instance_id, does that work ?

I need some clarification on the configuration API/flow. The
eventdev_pipeline sample app checks if DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MT_LOCKFREE flag
is set on all ethernet devices and if so, uses the pipeline_worker_tx
path as opposed to the "consumer" function, if we were to use the
adapter to replace some of the sample code then it seems like the
RTE_EVENT_ETH_TX_ADAPTER_CAP_INTERNAL_PORT is hardware assist for the
pipeline worker tx mode, the adapter would support 2 modes (consumer and
worker_tx, borrowing terminology from the sample), worker_tx would only
be supported if the eventdev supports
RTE_EVENT_ETH_TX_ADAPTER_CAP_INTERNAL_PORT (at least in the first version)

Thanks,
Nikhil