[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Add support for device dma mask

Alejandro Lucero alejandro.lucero at netronome.com
Thu Jun 28 12:27:51 CEST 2018

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Burakov, Anatoly <
anatoly.burakov at intel.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>                           because iovas,
>>                           when physical addresses are not available, are
>>         based on a
>>                           starting address set
>>                           to 0x0.
>>

>>                       You might want to look at the following patch:
>>
>>         http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/
>>         <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/>
>>                  <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/
>>         <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/>>
>>                       <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/
>>         <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/>
>>                  <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/
>>         <http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/37149/>>>
>>
>>                       Since this patch, IOVA as VA mode uses VA
>>         addresses, and
>>                  that has
>>                       been backported to earlier releases. I don't think
>>         there's
>>                  any case
>>                       where we used zero-based addresses any more.
>>

>>                  But memsegs get the iova based on hugepages physaddr,
>>         and for VA
>>                  mode that is based on 0x0 as starting point.
>>
>>                  And as far as I know, memsegs iovas are what end up
>>         being used
>>                  for IOMMU mappings and what devices will use.
>>

>>              For when physaddrs are available, IOVA as PA mode assigns
>> IOVA
>>              addresses to PA, while IOVA as VA mode assigns IOVA
>>         addresses to VA
>>              (both 18.05+ and pre-18.05 as per above patch, which was
>>         applied to
>>              pre-18.05 stable releases).
>>
>>              When physaddrs aren't available, IOVA as VA mode assigns IOVA
>>              addresses to VA, both 18.05+ and pre-18.05, as per above
>> patch.
>>

>>         This is right.
>>
>>              If physaddrs aren't available and IOVA as PA mode is used,
>>         then i as
>>              far as i can remember, even though technically memsegs get
>>         their
>>              addresses set to 0x0 onwards, the actual addresses we get in
>>              memzones etc. are RTE_BAD_IOVA.
>>

>>         This is not right. Not sure if this was the intention, but if PA
>>         mode and physaddrs not available, this code inside
>>         vfio_type1_dma_map:
>>
>>         if(rte_eal_iova_mode() == RTE_IOVA_VA)
>>
>>         dma_map.iova = dma_map.vaddr;
>>
>>         else
>>
>>         dma_map.iova = ms[i].iova;
>>

>>         does the IOMMU mapping using the iovas and not the vaddr, with
>>         the iovas starting at 0x0.
>>

>>     Yep, you're right, apologies. I confused this with no-huge option.
>>

>> So, what do you think about the patchset? Could it be this applied to
>> stable versions?
>>
>> I'll send a patch for current 18.05 code which will have the dma mask and
>> the hugepage check, along with changes for doing the mmaps below the dma
>> mask limit.
>>

> I've looked through the code, it looks OK to me (bar some things like
> missing .map file additions and a gratuitous rte_panic :) ).
>
> There was a patch/discussion not too long ago about DMA masks for some
> IOMMU's - perhaps we can also extend this approach to that?

I completely missed that patch.

It seems it could also be applied for that case adding a dma mask set if it
is an emulated VT-d with that 39 bits restriction.

I'll take a look at that patch and submit a new patchset including changes
for that case. I did also forget the hotplug case where the hugepage
checking needs to be invoked.

Thanks