[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2, 2/2] eventdev: add crypto adapter API header

Akhil Goyal akhil.goyal at nxp.com
Tue Mar 6 07:44:42 CET 2018

Hi Abhinandan,

Sorry for the delayed response, my office network had some issues wrt
NNTP, so couldn't reply.

On 2/28/2018 2:31 PM, Gujjar, Abhinandan S wrote:
> Hi Akhil,

...<snip>...

>> eventdev?

>> modes.

>> BATCH_SIZE, time_out);
>> op.private_data_offset;

>>> This mode wont work for the HW implementations that I know. As in HW
>>> implementations, The Adapter is embedded in HW.
>>> The DEQ mode works. But, This would call for to have two separate
>>> application logic for DEQ and ENQ_DEQ mode.
>>> I think, it is unavoidable as SW scheme has better performance with ENQ_DEQ
>> MODE.
>>>
>>> If you think, there is no option other than introducing a capability
>>> in adapter then please create capability in Rx adapter to inform the
>>> adapter capability to the application.
>>>
>>> Do we think, it possible to have scheme with ENQ_DEQ mode, Where
>>> application still enqueue to cryptodev like DEQ mode but using
>>> cryptodev. ie. Adapter patches the cryptodev dev->enqueue_burst() to
>>> "eventdev enqueue burst" followed by "exiting dev->enqueue_burst".
>>> Something like exiting ethdev rx_burst callback scheme.
>>> This will enable application to have unified flow IMO.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts from NXP folks?
>>
>> I see that there is performance gain in sw side while using ENQ_DEQ mode. But
>> since we already have many modes in the application already, can we make this
>> one with some callback to cryptodev.
>>
>> So the application can call the rte_cryptodev_enqueue_burst() as it is doing, and
>> if the ENQ_DEQ mode is supported by the underneath implementation then, it
>> can register a callback to the implementation that is required in the driver layer
>> itself.
> In ENQ-DEQ mode, crypto request are sent through the eventdev.
> With your proposal, it is not clear how crypto request can be hidden under rte_cryptodev_enqueue_burst()!
> Can you please share flow diagram or pseudo code?
>
> -Abhinandan

The code flow is what Jerin also suggested.

"Adapter patches the cryptodev dev->enqueue_burst() to
"eventdev enqueue burst" followed by "exiting dev->enqueue_burst".
Something like exiting ethdev rx_burst callback scheme."

The suggestion was just to simplify the flow in the application.
My main concern is that the ipsec-secgw application is already having a
lot of modes and we are about to add two more cases.