[dpdk-dev] Api in dpdk to get total free physical memory

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Fri Mar 9 11:56:10 CET 2018

On 09-Mar-18 9:59 AM, Venumadhav Josyula wrote:
> Hi Anatoly,
>
> Like we have api, rte_eal_get_physmem_size, which returns the total
> memory physical Ram memory. This is eal_common_memory.c, we need
> following following which would return free memory. For that that I was
> referring we need to api get the free physical ram memory
> ‘rte_eal_get_physmem_free’ for the we wanted to submit patch.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards
>
> Venumadhav

Hi Venumadhav,

Yes, i understand what you're referring to. I'm just saying that 1)
getting malloc heap stats will provide you with similar (and arguably
more practically useful) information, and 2) there are changes
(hopefully) coming that will lessen usefulness of such an API because it
would be possible to allocate hugepages at runtime, instead of
preallocating them at startup.

You're welcome to submit your patches, of course, but i would question
the usefulness of such an API in light of coming changes to memory
subsystem, because the "free" memory will not be the actual amount of
free memory you have. Imagine the following:

// you have roughly 1MB of free memory
free_mem = rte_eal_get_free_mem();
printf("%luMB\n", free_mem >> 20); // prints "1MB"

rte_malloc(1 << 20); // allocate 1MB of memory
                      // causes allocation of 1G page

free_mem = rte_eal_get_free_mem();
printf("%luMB\n", free_mem >> 20); // prints "1024MB"

A second ago you had 1MB of "free space", next second you have 1G free
space, despite the fact that you didn't free any memory - you just
allocated more pages. "Amount of free space" will have little meaning
when you can allocate more pages on the fly. I hope i've explained it
clearly enough.

Anatoly