[dpdk-dev] Query regarding mailbox interface (VFD relatated)

Prashant Upadhyaya praupadhyaya at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:14:29 CEST 2018

Hi,

I was using testpmd in host and the testpmd in a VM with SRIOV VF's.
Here the testpmd in host is acting as the PF.
Does the testpmd on the host still need to run the 'polling loop' on
the port since it is not coming in the datapath for the VF ?
Thinking on the above lines, I tried to comment the polling loop of
the testpmd on the host, but then the testpmd in my VM does not
initialize properly (times out on mailbox)

So the question is --  does the mailbox communication between the VF
and the PF is somehow dependent on the act of polling in the testpmd
at the host ? Isn't it based on the epoll_wait implementation in a
separate thread ?

Regards
-Prashant