[dpdk-dev] Correct use of Arm related names

Honnappa Nagarahalli Honnappa.Nagarahalli at arm.com
Wed Oct 10 06:37:08 CEST 2018

Hi,
This email was triggered by a request to change ARM to Arm in the dpdk.org webpage. I went down the path of finding out the correct names to use. There has not been consistency in using these names across all other projects. So, the recommendation I have got is, 'choose something and use it consistently' (within the DPDK project). Following are my recommendations (please notice the lower/upper case of the letters):

Architectural State:
aarch64/arm64 - referring to aarch64 state - recommended: aarch64
aarch32/arm32 - referring to aarch32 state - recommended: aarch32 (arm32 might create confusion with armv7)

ISA:
armv8.x
armv7.x

Any reference to Company name:
Arm

So, everything is lower case except when referring to the company (for ex: Copyright) name.

Thank you,
Honnappa