[dpdk-dev] How to replace rte_eth_dev_attach with rte_eal_hotplug_add

Hideyuki Yamashita yamashita.hideyuki at po.ntt-tx.co.jp
Mon Oct 22 06:34:15 CEST 2018

Dear Thomas and all,

About a month ago, I posted the topic related with
how to replace rte_eth_dev_attach.

Following your advice,
my code would be as below:
(Old code using deprecated API is commented out)

rte_eth_dev_get_port_by_name is used to retrieve dpdk port
after rte_eal_hotplug_add.
Note that my application is just one of the dpdk applications(in the host)
and within the process, only one thread handles device attatch/detach.
(No race condition with regard to device hot_plug will
not take place)
        //ret = rte_eth_dev_attach(devargs, &vhost_port_id);
        //if (ret < 0)
        //      return ret;

        struct rte_devargs da;

        memset(&da, 0, sizeof(da));

        /* parse devargs */
        if (rte_devargs_parse(&da, devargs))
                return -1;
        ret = rte_eal_hotplug_add(da.bus->name, da.name, da.args);
        if (ret < 0) {
                free(da.args);
                return ret;
        }
        free(da.args);
        ret = rte_eth_dev_get_port_by_name(da.name, &vhost_port_id);
        if (ret < 0)
                return ret;

If you have any concerns/additional advices, please let me know.

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross