[dpdk-dev] Question about jumbo frame support on ixgbe

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Oct 31 16:48:36 CET 2018

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 17:22:02 +0900
Hideyuki Yamashita <yamashita.hideyuki at po.ntt-tx.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a very basic question about jumbo frame support for ixgbe.
>
> I understand that some drivers support jumbo frame and
> if it receive jumbo packet (greater than 1500 byte), it creates
> mbuf chains and pass it to DPDK application through
> e.g. rte_eth_rx_burst.
>
> However it looks that ixgbe driver does not support jumbo frame.
>
> Q1. Is my understanding above correct?
> Q2. If A1 equals YES, then are there any future plan to support
> jumbo frame on ixgbe?
>
> BR,
> Hideyuki Yamashita
> NTT TechnoCross

I don't work for Intel, and haven't tried jumbo frames on ixgbe.
The hardware does support jumbo frames.
You might be confusing the overlapping receive offload values.

The setting for using jumbo frames is in current DPDK is shown
as available in device as:
	rx_offload_capa & DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_JUMBO_FRAME
In order to use it, this bit must be setn in rx_conf that
is passed to rte_eth_rx_queue_setup

The feature bit that creates multiple mbuf's if necessary on
receive is:
	rx_offload_capa  & DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_SCATTER
Likewise to enable it, this must be set in rte_eth_rx_queue_setup
rx_conf.