[dpdk-dev] KNI performance is not what is claimed

Jay Rolette rolette at infinite.io
Thu Sep 20 22:02:53 CEST 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stephen Hemminger <
stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:

> I wonder if KNI is claiming performance that was never measured on current
> CPU, OS, DPDK.
>
> With single stream and TCP testing on IXGBE (DPDK), I see lowest
> performance with KNI.
>
>                 Rx              Tx
>         KNI     3.2 Gbit/sec    1.3 Gbit/sec
>         TAP     4.9             4.7
>         Virtio  5.6             8.6
>
> Perhaps for 18.11 we should change documentation to remove language
> claiming
> better performance with KNI, and then plan for future deprecation?

Do TAP and Virtio provide equivalent function to KNI? I can't speak for any
other products, but ours is dependent on KNI. The ability for control plane
applications to use normal Linux sockets with DPDK is key even if it isn't
performant.

Hopefully the answer is "yes", in which case I'll happily port over to
using one of the faster mechanisms.

Thanks,
Jay