[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/3] ci: enable unit tests for non-aarch64 platforms

Aaron Conole aconole at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 14:49:09 CEST 2019

David Marchand <david.marchand at redhat.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
>
>  On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:29:51PM +0200, David Marchand wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 9:28 PM Aaron Conole <aconole at redhat.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > David Marchand <david.marchand at redhat.com> writes:
>  > > > I tried using meson/ninja for the tests, something that bothered me is
>  > > that I can't interrupt the tests.
>  > > > I had to kill manually, meson, ninja and I had some leftover dpdk-test
>  > > processes (maybe due to some ^Z I
>  > > > hit...).
>  > > > Is this expected ?
>  > >
>  > > Certainly not by me.  I usually let everything complete, though (which
>  > > takes a looong time if I run the full suite).
>  > >
>  > > > This is quite frustrating when testing "before" and "after" each patch.
>  > >
>  > > Agreed.  :-/
>  > >
>  > > I'll have to try it out to see what's happening.  Does it only happen
>  > > with this series?  I'd be surprised, but possibly I introduced some error.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Nop, I got this even before your first patch.
>  >

>  Is this meson related or related to the auto test binary in DPDK. I know
>  traditionally I've found the test binary rather difficult to kill, but I'd
>  like to be sure that the meson infrastructure itself isn't making it worse.
>
> Hard to tell, I would have to retest and investigate, unless Aaron went further than me.

I did some investigation with this.  At least I don't see any lingering
process from meson, but it does take time for the tests to die when I
hit CTRL-C, and I get a warning - I found this related bug:
   https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2281

I guess it could be some kind of interplay between the way meson kills
tests?  Looking at the commit that eventually 'closes' the bug, they
merely set a flag rather than pass a kill signal down, so I guess it's
probably never going to be immediate.