[dpdk-dev] DSW eventdev is getting "stuck"?

Mattias Rönnblom mattias.ronnblom at ericsson.com
Wed Apr 3 21:02:20 CEST 2019

On 2019-04-03 20:36, Venky Venkatesh wrote:

> On 4/3/19, 11:34 AM, "Mattias Rönnblom" <mattias.ronnblom at ericsson.com> wrote:
>
>      On 2019-04-03 20:17, Venky Venkatesh wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      > I am using the DSW code from 18.11 with the default settings for all the #defines. Here are some more details:
>      > I have an 8 port system with 1 queue.
>      > All ports can inject events. Port 0 and 7 inject events rarely.
>      > Ports 1-6 are linked to the queue and hence dequeue events.
>      >
>      > I see that in steady state the total number enqueues into the system is much greater than the total number of dequeues.
>      > eventdev deq#: 1948491 enq#: 1949007
>      >

>      If you have more enqueues than dequeues, it means there are events in
>      flight in the scheduler. In the above case, it's roughly 516 events,
>      which sounds perfectly healthy and normal. I say roughly, because
>      there's no way to take a consistent, global snapshot of all xstats counters.
>
> [VV]: This is in steady state i.e. there are no more events being injected into the system. So shouldn’t everything get drained out at some point?

Assuming appropriate application behavior, sure, of course.

Events in flight are either in the output buffer on the producer port,
or the input ring on the consumer.

Inappropriate behavior would be if any port (producer, consumer or
producer+consumer) is left unattended (i.e. no enqueue or dequeue
operation is performed).