[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] DPDK ABI/API Stability

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Thu Apr 4 12:54:47 CEST 2019

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 10:29:19AM +0100, Burakov, Anatoly wrote:
> On 03-Apr-19 4:42 PM, Ray Kinsella wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Recently I started a discussion with the DPDK Technical Board on DPDK
> > ABI/API stability. This was born out informal feedback I had received
> > from a number of users of DPDK about ABI churn. In turn this feedback
> > then prompted an ABI analysis of DPDK using tools from abi-laboratory.
> >
> > https://abi-laboratory.pro/index.php?view=timeline&l=dpdk
> >
> > I guess the short story is that DPDK ABI hasn't really settled down as
> > the project has matured. If you take a look at the “Backward Compat.”
> > column which measures ABI compatibility compared to the previous
> > releases, you will see significant churn in the ABI over successive
> > releases since v16.04.
> >
> > Now compare DPDK to GStreamer as an example of a very mature project
> > with a similar intent, a framework for building applications, and which
> > enjoys a very stable API.
> >
> > https://abi-laboratory.pro/index.php?view=timeline&l=gstreamer
> >
> > The DPDK ABI churn has the following affects for users:-
> >
> > 1. The churn obliges users of DPDK to commit to a constant
> > re-integration and re-validation effort for new versions of DPDK. This
> > effort from their perspective may not add value to their consuming
> > project, particular if they are only updating to "stay current".
> > 2. The churn encourages users of DPDK to slip versions, putting off
> > reintegration to later, building up technical debt and causing their
> > projects to miss support for new hardware or features.
> > 3. It makes DPDK different to almost every other system library and
> > framework that an operating systems might ship. This makes DPDK trickier
> > to dynamically link against, package and maintain for OS maintainers.
> >
> > In order to address this issue, I have put together the minimal set of
> > concrete proposals below for discussion at the Technical Board next
> > Wednesday.
> >
> > I wanted to share this, as these might not yet be the right proposals,
> > however I am putting them out there for feedback to start the discussion.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ray K
> >

> > Experimental API
> > 1.	APIs designated as experimental are not considered part of the ABI
> > and may change without warning at any time.
> > 2.	APIs designated as experimental must be marked depreciated for a
> > least one quarterly release before removal.
> > 3.	APIs designated as experimental will no longer automatically graduate
> > to core after one release, they may stay experimental until their author
> > and the maintainer agree that graduation is appropriate.
> >
> > Core API (non-experimental API)
> > 4.	APIs designated as core must be depreciated for a least two years
> > before removal, to facilitate the continued compatibility with LTS
> > releases. A final removal notice will be published to the DPDK Mailing
> > List, and if there are no strong objections only then an API may be
> > removed.
> [...]

Actually, I think we *do* need to constrain the pace of development for the
sake of ABI stability. At this stage DPDK has been around for quite a
number of years and so should be considered a fairly mature project - it
should just start acting like it.

Now, in terms of features like the memory rework, that is indeed a case
that there was no alternative other than a massive ABI break. However, for
that rework there was a strong need for improvement in that area that we
can make the case for an ABI break to support it - and it is of a scale
that nothing other than an ABI change would do. For other areas and
examples, I doubt there are many in the last couple of years that are of
that scale.

My thoughts on the matter are:
1. I think we really need to do work to start hiding more of our data
structures - like what Stephen's latest RFC does. This hiding should reduce
the scope for ABI breaks.
2. Once done, I think we should commit to having an ABI break only in the
rarest of circumstances, and only with very large justification. I want us
to get to the point where DPDK releases can immediately be picked up by all
linux distros and rolled out because they are ABI compatible.

I'm not sure I like the idea of planned ABI break releases - that strikes
me as a plan where we end up with the same number of ABI breaks as before,
just balled into one release.

Question for Kevin, Luca and others who look at distro-packaging: is it the
case that each distro will only ship one version of DPDK, or is it possible
that if we have ABI breaks, a distro will provide two copies of DPDK
simultaneously, e.g. a 19.11 ABI version and a 20.11 ABI version?

So, in short, I'm generally in favour of a zero-tolerance approach for DPDK
ABI breaks, and having ABI breaks as a major event reserved only for
massive rework changes, such as major mbuf changes, or new memory layout or
similar.

Regards,
/Bruce