[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] DPDK ABI/API Stability

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Mon Apr 8 16:02:57 CEST 2019

On 08-Apr-19 2:58 PM, David Marchand wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM Burakov, Anatoly
> <anatoly.burakov at intel.com <mailto:anatoly.burakov at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     As a concrete proposal, my number one dream would be to see
>     multiprocess
>     gone. I also recall desire for "DPDK to be more lightweight", and i
>     maintain that DPDK *cannot* be lightweight if we are to support
>     multiprocess - we can have one or the other, but not both. However,
>     realistically, i don't think dropping multiprocess is ever going to
>     happen - not only it is too entrenched in DPDK use cases, it is
>     actually
>     quite useful despite its flaws.
>

> Well, honestly, I'd like to hear about this.
> What are the real usecases for multi process support?
> Do we have even a single opensource project that uses it?

I'm aware of a few closed source usages of multiprocess. I also think
current versions of collectd rely on secondary process (there's been a
Telemetry API added to avoid that, but AFAIK the support for Telemetry
is not upstream in collectd yet), and so do/would any dump-style
applications - in fact, we ourselves include one such application in our
codebase (pdump, proc-info, etc.).

> --
> David Marchand

Anatoly