[dpdk-dev] ethdev flow director/filtering/steering API

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Thu Apr 11 09:49:54 CEST 2019

About the features called flow director, filtering or flow steering,
we have some overlap in our API that we should clean.
It is especially important when considering to freeze the API for stability.

Please read this deprecation notice from December 2016:

* ethdev: the legacy filter API, including
  ``rte_eth_dev_filter_supported()``, ``rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl()`` as well
  as filter types MACVLAN, ETHERTYPE, FLEXIBLE, SYN, NTUPLE, TUNNEL, FDIR,
  HASH and L2_TUNNEL, is superseded by the generic flow API (rte_flow) in
  PMDs that implement the latter.
  Target release for removal of the legacy API will be defined once most
  PMDs have switched to rte_flow.

We must mark the eth_dev_filter API as deprecated and decide about
a date to remove it.

Which PMD is implementing this API and not rte_flow?
If there are still some, deadlines should help them to be converted :)
If some help is needed, please ask.

Anyway, after more than 2 years of notice, I think it is fair to mark
the legacy API as deprecated in 19.05 release.