[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/3] ethdev: add ptype as Rx offload

Pavan Nikhilesh Bhagavatula pbhagavatula at marvell.com
Tue Aug 6 10:47:23 CEST 2019

I think that having the check would give better performance than loading ptype table to L1
doing  a lookup and copying it to mbuf when the application doesn't need it.

>Your second patch is incomplete in the sense that it only adds the
>capability. But it does not disable the lookups?

It is upto the maintainer of the PMD to disable the lookup in data path. If there is a scope of optimization
then they could do it. There is no harm in exposing  PTYPE even RX_OFFLOAD_PTYPE is not enabled.
I was hesitant to touch data path as it would be impossible to verify performance effect on all NICs.