[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/3] ethdev: add ptype as Rx offload

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Aug 7 17:22:15 CEST 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 11:32:35 +0300
Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko at solarflare.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/19 5:04 AM, Jerin Jacob Kollanukkaran wrote:

Existing releases packets will be received with ptype for hardware that
supports it. We should not require users to change their application to
continue to get mbufs with ptype.  If your change would break that, and
require application to change; then your change should break the API in
a hard way that causes compile rather than runtime failure.

The best solution would be to just keep old applications running and compiling
without breaking anything. That means ptype should still be received.

If (as an optimization) you want to allow application to turn of getting
ptype; then that would be a useful. Probably best done at the port level
as part of configuration.

> > Not specific to this API change. That's is the propriety any new symbol addition
> > to the code base.
> >
> > Planning to make this API change available fromv19.11 LTS.
>
> The only way to to require applications to enable PTYPE offload to get
> ptypes in mbuf since 19.11 LTS is to have deprecation notice in 19.08.
>
> >> You can't magically assume that applications using ptype will set new feature.
> > When OFFLOAD flags got introduced, we decided to disable all offloads by default.
> > So, need to add positive logic here to enable offload instead of enable something by
> > Default and disable if required to get have synergy with other offloads.
> >
> > Will update the release note as usual to document the change.
> > Since there is NO ABI change, IMO, we don't need deprecation notice.
>
> Sorry, but it is a behaviour change. Before an application does not need
> to enable ptype offload, but now it is required. It means that application
> will be broken and, therefore, it requires deprecation notice.

The DPDK development community has to make not breaking applications
a higher priority than adding marginal enhancements