[dpdk-dev] [patch v3] doc: announce API change in ethdev offload flags

Jerin Jacob Kollanukkaran jerinj at marvell.com
Fri Aug 9 05:48:42 CEST 2019

I agree. We don't need to.

> Again how to deal with hot-plugged devices with such approach?
>

> > or the negative offload(This contract is pretty clear, I don't think
> > any ambiguity at all) # when DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_NO_PTYPE(something
> > similar) is set, mbuf.packet_type will be invalid.
> >
> > > I think we need either to introduce new ol_flag value (as we usually
> > > do for other RX offloads), or force PMD to always set ptype value.
> >
> > Setting new  ol_flag value may effect performance for existing drivers
> > which don't planning to use this offload
>
> If the driver doesn't support DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_PTYPE, it wouldn't need to
> set anything (neither ol_flags, neither packet_type).

Yes

> > and it complicates the
> > application to have additional check based on ol_flag. If you see any
> > corner case with above section,
> >
> > How about just setting as ptype as 0 incase it is not parsed by driver.
>
> As I said above - ok by me.
> AFAIK, this is current behavior, so no changes in PMD will be required.
>
> > Actual lookup is the costly one, writing 0 to pytpe is not costly as
> > there are plenty of writes in Rx and it will be write merged(No CPU
> > stall)
>
> Yes packet_type is at first 64B, so shouldn't cause any extra overhead.
>

> > I did not get the complete picture of
> > "rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes(uint16_t port_id, uint32_t
> ptype_mask); instead of DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_PTYPE? scheme", Does it help?
>
> I thought about it as just a different way to disable(/limit) requested by user
> PTYPE support.
> If let say user is not interested in ptype information at all, he can ask PMD to
> just always set ptype value to 0:
> rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes(port, RTE_PTYPE_UNKNOWN);
>
> if he is interested just in L2/L3 layer info, he can ask PMD to provide ptype
> information only for L2/L3:
> rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes(port, RTE_PTYPE_L2_MASK |
> RTE_PTYPE_L3_MASK);
>
> Or to enable all supported by PMD ptypes:
> rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes(port, UINT32_MAX)

The API looks good to me. We need to document the  rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes()
must  be called when device is in stop state to allow PMD do slow path configuration.

To summarize:
Two options to control PTYPE lookup:
Option 1:
- If DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_PTYPE set, PMD returns mbuf->packet_type with rte_eth_dev_get_supported_ptypes()
- If DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_PTYPE is not set, PMD still can return  mbuf->packet_type with rte_eth_dev_get_supported_ptypes()
But if PMD can do some optimization, it can avoid ptype lookup and return mbuf->packet_type as zero.

Option 2:
- Introduce rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes(port, needed_ptypes).

I think, rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes() is better option As Konstantain suggested to
have selective control of ptype parsing by PMD at the cost of adding new API.

I think, we can avoid breaking exiting application by, If rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes() is not called,
PMD must return mbuf->packet_type with rte_eth_dev_get_supported_ptypes().
If rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes() and successful, PMD must return
mbuf->packet_type with rte_eth_dev_set_supported_ptypes()

If there no objection to this API, We can send updated deprecation notice.