[dpdk-dev] CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEM_MB fails in DPDK18.05

Kamaraj P pkamaraj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 18:01:39 CET 2019

Hello All,

Currently, we are facing an issue with memory allocation failure
in memseg_primary_init().
When we configure the CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEM_MB to 512MB and correspondingly
configured the number of huge pages for our platform. But the virtual
memory allocation is failing.

It appears that its trying to allocate CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST *
Huge page size (i.e. 8192 * 2MB = 0x400000000) and virtual memory
allocation is failing.

Also tried changing the CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST to 64 with which
virtual memory allocation is passing for the 128MB (64 * 2MB). But looks
like 128MB memory is not enough and it is causing the PCIe enumeration
failure.
Not able allocate virtual memory beyond 128MB by increasing the
CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST beyond 64.

Is there are any settings(argument) which we need to pass as part of
rte_eal_init()
to get success in the virtual memory allocation?
Please advise.

Thanks,
Kamaraj