[dpdk-dev] [RFC] lfring: lock-free ring buffer

Eads, Gage gage.eads at intel.com
Fri Feb 1 16:40:51 CET 2019

Too late for lfring v2 unfortunately, but this idea will actually break lock-freedom. For example, say the tail index is 33 slots behind the next available slot. An enqueueing thread would get stuck retrying slots from tail index -> tail index + 32 until another thread updates the tail index.

> > But you're right that we should still catch the 1+ lap behind case, so
> > the reload criteria could be:
> >
> > #define ENQ_RETRY_LIMIT 32 //arbitrary
> >
> > if (old.e.idx != tail - size) {
> >     if (++fail_cnt < ENQ_RETRY_LIMIT && old.e.idx == tail) {
> >         tail++;
> >     } else {
> >         fail_cnt = 0;
> >         tail = rte_lfring_reload(...);
> >     }
> >     goto restart;
> > }
> > fail_cnt = 0;
> Agree.

> > > There is no pre-acquisition of slots in enqueue and dequeue. That
> > > separate step makes lock-freedom impossible (I think).
> > >
> > Can you elaborate?
> I think lock-freedom is impossible with the initial acquisition of elements.
> This acquisition creates a side effect that cannot be undone or helped by other
> threads.
>
> You can still implement a "non-blocking" ring buffer (like your original design)
> which hides any delay in threads that access the ring buffer but isn't properly
> lock-free (which could be considered unnecessary in a DPDK environment,
> threads may get delayed but shouldn't die or block forever).

I think I see what you're saying. For example If a dequeueing thread reserves N elements and then is preempted, it's effectively reduced the number of available elements by N during that period.

Practically speaking, I don't think this is a problem. Not just because threads shouldn't die or block forever, but if a thread can be preempted after reserving N ring slots (but before enqueueing to or dequeueing from them), the net effect is those N buffers are taken out of the system. This isn't really different than if it that thread was preempted *outside* of the ring functions while holding N buffers -- the application should be designed to be resilient to that.

> >  I don't currently see any other way to support rte_ring bulk
> > semantics, which is necessary for creating a non-blocking mempool
> > handler, so we should clear up any doubt.
> OK, I wasn't aware of this strict dependency on bulk enqueue and dequeue. Bulk
> dequeue (mempool allocates buffers from the ring) should be easy to support
> though. Bulk enqueue (mempool frees buffers to the ring) will work as long as
> the ring is large enough to hold all free buffers so it can never become full (need
> to reload head/tail pointers at the appropriate places to avoid spurious
> full/empty status). I assume this is the case, initially all free buffers will be stored
> in the ring?
>

> > In the NB ring patchset each thread reserves a number of slots before
> > performing the enq/deq, but doesn't reserve *specific* slots (unlike
> > rte_ring). This reservation is atomic, so that we never over-subscribe
> > valid ring entries (for dequeue) or unused ring entries (for enqueue).
> > This guarantees that the enq/deq operation will eventually complete,
> > regardless of the behavior of other threads. This is why the enqueue
> > loop doesn't check if space is available and the dequeue loop doesn't
> > check if any more valid entries remain.
> I initially thought these acquisitions were just for compatibility with rte_ring
> (update the same metadata so that the user can mix MP/MC and SP/SC calls) but
> realise they are there for the bulk enqueue/dequeue. But doing this acquisition
> means each enqueue or dequeue will update two metadata variables so creates
> more contention and less scalability. I think it would be good if we could provide
> the bulk behaviour *without* this initial acquisition and only update one
> metadata location per enqueue/dequeue operation.

Agreed. I see lfring v2 has avoided this on the dequeue side, but I think it's unavoidable on the enqueue side -- since we can't write ring entries and CAS the tail pointer in one big atomic operation. AFAICT, slot reservations are unavoidable there to achieve bulk semantics.