[dpdk-dev] A Question about the necessity of DPDK VF for Ethernet PMDs

Rami Rosen ramirose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:19:19 CET 2019

Hi, Alejandro,

Thanks for you quick response.

>When SRIOV is used by VMs, the slow path will always be faster (and
>with lower latency) with DPDK.

Yes, I am referring primarily to the SRIOV case in my question, when
assigning PCI VF to a VM (most likely QEMU VM)
Can you please explain what you mean about slow path in this context ?

Not sure the OVS setup is relevant here, it seems (if I understand
correctly) that VFIO is more commonly used in OVS setups,
so this query is not relevant here (unless you use igb_uio which is less
common)
According to
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/
"VFIO is prefered to the UIO driver when using recent versions of DPDK. "
Regards,
Rami Rosen