[dpdk-dev] vhost: add virtio configuration space access socket messages

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at samsung.com
Wed Feb 27 12:48:01 CET 2019

On 27.02.2019 12:04, Maxime Coquelin wrote:

> On 2/26/19 3:07 PM, Ilya Maximets wrote:

Yes, looks like we have.

> I.e., by implementing the .pre_msg_handle callback and setting its
> skip_master to 1, we have the same result. Except that we don't
> have the debug message.

Sure. This should work.

> Also, it means we would need to either rework all current handlers,
> or make "struct virtio_net" part of the API.

Actually, 'vhost_crypto' already uses the 'struct virtio_net'. So, it's
kind of a part of the API anyway. Do we need a special API to get
'extern_data' ? Right now 'vhost_crypto' gets it directly from the
'vhost_net' structure.

'vhost_crypto' seems very strange though. I don't think that it works.
(example calls 'set_features' via 'crypto_create' inside the 'new_device'
callback, this should not work). Also, it uses a lot of internal stuff for
which we have public APIs.

> So maybe we'll have to come to this, but we would need first to do
> a significant rework of the library to move all the net specific
> stuff out of the generic vhost part.

Sure. It seems to me that we need to split out network related stuff
from the 'struct virtio_net' to a separate 'struct vhost_net' and rename
'struct virtio_net' to, for example, 'struct virtio_dev'. Making some
kind of inheritance between them. Maybe having a 'backend' pointer to the
corresponding 'struct vhost_net/crypto/scsi' and replace the 'extern_data'
with it.