[dpdk-dev] Aligned rte_mempool for storage applications

Howell, Seth seth.howell at intel.com
Tue Mar 26 19:34:15 CET 2019

Hi Vipin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will respond to your queries in order.
1. Yes, in at least one case we have buffers of size 4096 bytes. Some of our other buffers are much larger (>64KiB)
2. These buffers are used in the I/O path, so performance is very important. Allocating and freeing a buffer each time we use it could be pretty costly.
3. Could you describe the idea of an indirect buffer in more detail? I don't think I quite understand that concept. I know we couldn't use mbufs because we often have buffers that are larger than 64k. I think there are more reasons we don't use the mbuf structure in our use case, but am not familiar with all of them. Maybe Jim can explain those in more detail.

Thanks,

Seth