[dpdk-dev] Using _XOPEN_SOURCE macros may break builds on FreeBSD

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Mon May 13 18:24:29 CEST 2019

> [...]
> > >
> > > I confirm that under Linux, all IPPROTO_* (POSIX/XOPEN/RFC1700) are defined
> > > regardless (_GNU_SOURCE not even needed), while under FreeBSD, the non-POSIX
> > > versions are only defined when __BSD_VISIBLE is set.
> > >
> > > The FreeBSD behavior is more correct in this respect since the purpose of
> > > _XOPEN_SOURCE and friends is also to let applications limit the risk of
> > > redefinitions in case they were written for an earlier standard
> > > (e.g. -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 vs. -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600).
> >
> > Still not sure why do you need it for failsafe and mlx PMDs?
> > Would something in these PMDs be broken without  '-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600'?
>
> Well, not really. At least not anymore if they compile fine without it on
> all supported targets. I don't mind if they are removed from PMDs.
>
> _XOPEN_SOURCE=600 was originally added to mlx4 (later inherited by mlx5 and
> failsafe) for the following reasons:
>
> - Out fo habit, since a lot of stuff in unistd.h and fcntl.h depends on it
>   to be exposed. Some affected definitions were likely needed at some point.
>
> - Besides toggling C syntax extensions, forcing a C standard through the
>   -std parameter (e.g. -std=c99) in order to guarantee a minimum level of
>   C compliance disables the implicit presence of nonstandard definitions,
>   which must be re-enabled as needed through the appropriate #defines.
>
> For instance, including unistd.h for getsid() stops working as soon as you
> use -std=c99. On Linux you can get it back through -std=gnu99 or by
> combining -std=c99 with -D_GNU_SOURCE or -D_XOPEN_SOURCE. The latter was
> chosen because it is the standard define supposed to work across OSes.
>
> Historically mlx4 had to enable -std=c99 to be able to use various features
> not present when GCC defaulted to -std=gnu90. It was later transformed to
> -std=c11 for similar reasons (anonymous members in structs/unions if memory
> serves me right).
>
> > > DPDK applications may also define _XOPEN_SOURCE for their own needs. They
> > > should still be able to use rte_ip.h afterward.
> >
> > I suppose they can, they would just have (on FreeBSD) to add '-D __BSD_VISIBLE'
> > themselves.
>
> Of course, but public headers should be as self sufficient as possible.
> Unless they provide really insane compiler flags, if user applications get
> compilation errors after including some header we install on the system,
> I think the blame is on DPDK.
>
> > > I think this reason is
> > > enough to go with -D__BSD_VISIBLE under FreeBSD without removing
> > > _XOPEN_SOURCE, as it should work regardless.
> >
> > So do you suggest to add '-D __BSD_VISIBLE'  into
> > mlx/failsafe PMDs Makefiles/meson.build, or ... ?
>
> Since headers of our public API potentially require it, it must be defined
> globally (unlike _XOPEN_SOURCE which is only local to a few PMDs):
> app/meson.build, lib/meson.build, mk/target/generic/rte.vars.mk, alongside
> -D_GNU_SOURCE.
>
> Add it to mlx*/failsafe only if that's not enough. Just make sure

Ok, to summarize, eyour suggestion is:
1. remove -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=... from mlx and failsafe PMDs.
2. add '-D __BSD_VISIBLE'  into top level make/meson files
(app/meson.build, lib/meson.build, mk/target/generic/rte.vars.mk)
Similar to what we doing for -DGNU_SOURCE.

If I understand you correctly, then it sounds ok to me.

> > > Looking at the patch [1], I also think there's another, simpler approach:
> > > unless really performance critical, defining rte_ipv6_get_next_ext() in
> > > rte_net.c instead of a static inline in rte_ip.h should address this issue.
> >
> > It is performance critical, and I think that
> > function call for each ext header is a way too expensive approach.
> > Will prefer to keep that function inline.
>
> OK, a bit cumbersome but since we're heading this way [2], how about
> defining our own instead of all the above?
>
>  #define RTE_IPPROTO_HOPOPTS 0
>  #define RTE_IPPROTO_ROUTING 43
>
> Which could prove handy later as it appears Linux and FreeBSD don't have the
> same set of available IPPROTO_* definitions.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [2] "[RFC v2 00/14] prefix network structures"
>     https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2019-April/129752.html

Yep, that's definitely an option too.
But if we going to replace all current references of IPPROTO_ inside DPDK
to RTE_IPROTO_ - the change will be massive.
And for sure it is out of scope of this patch series.
That's probably need to be done after Olivier RFC will be in and
should be subject of a separate patch series.
Konstantin