[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] [RFC 0/4] cpu-crypto API choices

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Wed Nov 6 11:14:17 CET 2019

> > > IMO, from application perspective, it should not matter who (CPU or an accelerator) does the crypto functionality. It just needs to know
> if the result will be returned synchronously or asynchronously.
> >
> > We already have asymmetric and symmetric APIs.
> > Here you are proposing a third method: symmetric without mbuf for CPU PMDs
>
> Sorry, for this garbage, I am mixing synchronous/asynchronous and symmetric/asymmetric.

> > It means the API is not PMD agnostic, right?

Probably not...
Because inside DPDK we don't have any other abstraction for SW crypto-libs
except vdev, we do need dev_id to get session initialization point.
After that I believe all operations can be session based.

> So the question is to know if a synchronous API will be implemented only for CPU virtual PMDs?

I don't expect lookaside devices to benefit from sync mode.
I think performance penalty would be too high.
Konstantin