[dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD

Jerin Jacob jerinjacobk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 08:30:39 CEST 2019

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 4:09 PM David Marchand <david.marchand at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM David Marchand
> <david.marchand at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas at monjalon.net> wrote:
> > > There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
> > >
> > > Please, who can add it?
> >
> > From my side, I would love to get detailed instructions on cross
> > compiling the external library "armv8_crypto".
>
> Something has been broken in this library.
> Current HEAD won't compile, went back to some reference Thomas had in his setup.
>
> d498a6f - (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) crypto/armv8:
> ILP optimizations for AES128CBCdec+SHA256 HMAC (2 years, 7 months ago)
> <Zbigniew Bodek>
>
> Won't compile.
>
> 71258fb - Makefile: remove DPDK dependency (2 years, 9 months ago)
> <Zbigniew Bodek>
>
> Builds fine.
>

> Please someone fix this library and/or the documentation we have in dpdk.

I have fixed the 'native' build issue. We will add cross-compilation
support and update the library README.

I was expecting a similar issue and I was against creating a separate
library to have an unnecessary
dependency. This library was soley meant for DPDK so there was no
technical reason for making it
a separate library. I don't believe the external libraries are really
open source way of doing the stuff.
I think the argument to keep the external library was
- Crypto export license issues.
-  Assembly code is diffcult to understand and therefore maintain it.