[dpdk-dev] [RFC] net/null: add empty promiscuous mode functions

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Thu Oct 17 17:33:59 CEST 2019

On 10/17/2019 2:43 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:05:56PM +0100, Ferruh Yigit wrote:

>>> If I test virtual PMD promiscuous mode, I would prefer enable/disable
>>> callback to say me truth.
>>>
>>> If application really does not care, it should be in the application code.
>>
>> Application can't change this because they may be caring return result for the
>> physical devices.
>>
>> Up until this release these missing dev_ops in virtual PMDs were silently
>> ignored, now APIs are more strict on this (which is good) but to get close the
>> previous behavior for virtual PMDs we need to relax on these features (like
>> saying success on promiscuous disable although it didn't).
>>
> The other variable here is how often an app is going to request promiscuous
> disabling? Given that most ports generally come up in that state anyway,
> and one needs to request enabling it, surely the disable case is relatively
> rare? In that case I'd tend to agree with having disabling it returning
> error for vpmds.

Yes disabling most probably rare, but still it will generate an error and
application is failing because of ring PMD promiscuous disable doesn't look
right to me.

Perhaps application should differentiate between -ENOTSUP error and operation
fail error, but that looks to me adding unnecessary complexity to the app.

With a common function shared by all PMDs for both promisc and allmuticast will
add a little code and an easier solution.