[dpdk-dev] [RFC] net/null: add empty promiscuous mode functions

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Oct 18 15:12:51 CEST 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:38:53PM +0100, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 10/18/2019 11:13 AM, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> >> Yes disabling most probably rare, but still it will generate an error and
> >> application is failing because of ring PMD promiscuous disable doesn't look
> >> right to me.
> >
> > Well, if an app needs promiscuous mode disabled then having it fail is the
> > right thing to do. If the app doesn't care about promiscuous mode failing,
> > why is it checking the return value at all?
> >

> >> Perhaps application should differentiate between -ENOTSUP error and operation
> >> fail error, but that looks to me adding unnecessary complexity to the app.
> >>
> > Again, does the app care or not? It's probably still better to return
> > correct info to the app in all cases, and then let the app decide how best
> > to handle it.
>
> My thinking is, application "cares" about the ethdev API return values, but to
> check/test quickly with null/ring PMD perhaps not really care that much abut
> promisc/allmuticast support of these PMDs and let's relax these support of
> virtual PMDs to make life easy.
>
> But eventually the main target is to fix sample applications to run with virtual
> PMDs which has been broken in this release.
> Both approach works,
> a) Implement dummy dev_ops to virtual PMDs to report success
> b) Update ethdev APIs to not call dev_ops if the requested configuration is
> already satisfied and change virtual PMDs to report promisc & allmulticast
> enabled by default. (disable still will have same issue)
>
> Is the consensus option (b)?
>

> btw, the problem exists in high level for the offload support, if the
> application is requesting a specific offload support it fails to run with the
> virtual PMDs since virtual PMDs doesn't support any offloads. Indeed I have same
> suggestion for this case too, relax the virtual PMD by claiming it supports all
> offloads. Because at least for me when I use those virtual PMDs I don't really
> would like to test offloads or the procmisc/allmulticast features ...

I really dislike having the drivers lying. It may work in some cases, but
eventually you will hit a problem where an app really does need a feature
and then breaks for the user in mysterious ways when run with a virtual
PMD. Much better to have the vPMD always report the truth to the app, and
let the app worry about whether the app can continue on error or not.

Final option I'd throw out there, is to allow a vdev parameter to tell the
vpmd it's allowed to lie. That gives an override in case of an app that
can't handle a non-fatal failure.

/Bruce