[dpdk-dev] Performance impact of "declaring" more CPU cores

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Wed Oct 30 18:20:55 CET 2019

Thanks for your comment. The raw number of cache misses is just higher almost in every function. While hwloc is indeed useful, the assignation is exactly the same in all cases. What we do is to define with "-l" more or less *unused* cores. But the used ones run at the same place, with the same resources and the same configuration.

The only thing that may change is what DPDK does with those unused cores. Eg, allocate more unused per-core caches, etc. Shifting the allocation of other caches, buffers, etc for the used cores, leading to more "unlucky" alignment and more contention.

I'm trying to reproduce with the smallest possible modification of testpmd so other people might experience this.

Thanks,

Tom