[dpdk-dev] DPDK techboard minutes of July 31

Maxime Coquelin maxime.coquelin at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 17:04:26 CEST 2019


Meeting notes for the DPDK technical board meeting held on 2018-07-31

Attendees:
    - Bruce Richardson
    - Ferruh Yigit
    - Hemant Agrawal
    - Jerin Jacob
    - Maxime Coquelin
    - Stephen Hemminger
    - Thomas Monjalon

1) Security process updates
 - The governing board acknowledges the security process
 - Last governing board meeting didn't covered the technical board
   request for LF to become a CNA
 - Stephen to do the request at the next governing board meeting

2) SPDX licences
 - Still some subsystems not compliant with SPDK, target is still v19.11
 - Hemant sent a reminder on DPDK dev mailing-list
 - Hemant will give a status update at next meeting

3) DPDK community survey follow-up
 - 39% of the respondents said they do not get enough reviews
  * Situation has improved since we have more sub-trees
  * Could further be improved if maintainers asked trusted contributors
    to help reviewing patches
  * In case the contributor feels the review process does not work, he
    should e-mail the techboard
  * Thomas and Honnappa to update the contribution documentation and
    send a pointer to that doc on the dev mailing-list

4) DPDK API/ABI Stability discussions
 - Ray prepared a v2 of the policy patch, main changes:
  * Change to 1 year initial ABI stability period, with a review
    afterward to elongate the stability period
  * Changes to the handling of experimental and depreciation process

 - Open question is from where to start the major ABI version numbering.
  * Should it be the year of the declaration of stable ABI version?
  * Or start at v3.0 and continue from there?
  * Bruce mentioned that we already have libraries at version > 10, so
    using 3 would not work
  * Techboard voted to use the year of stabilization as starting point.

5) Next meeting
 - On 2019-08-14, Stephen will chair it.


More information about the dev mailing list