[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Proposals and notes from ABI stability panel @ DPDK Userspace

Ray Kinsella mdr at ashroe.eu
Wed Sep 25 16:29:16 CEST 2019

> In the short term, based on the feedback at the conference and to give
> something concrete to be considered, here is a suggestion,
>
> ABI freeze starts at 20.02 for 9 months, with a review as planned to see
> if 20.11 should be frozen 2 years.
>
> pros:
> + Eliminates any need for delaying 19.11 release
>
> + Allows maintainers to stick to current deprecation policy if they need
> to make changes prior to freeze (Based on comment from Hemmant)
>
> + Not sure if it's worthy of a new bullet or clear from above but I
> would add that changing the release cycle/deprecation policy etc 2 weeks
> (I think) before RC1 is late to say the least and there is no notice to
> users
>
> + Means that any changes required prior to freeze are not rushed with
> usual big LTS release (19.11). Gives more time and maybe during a saner
> release cycle (20.02)
>
> cons:
> - With view for possible 20.11 freeze, gives 2 releases to tease out
> process instead of 3
>
> - Perhaps it is desirable for some users to have the 19.11 LTS ABI
> compatible with 20.02/05/08 releases
>
> I've tried to keep them objective, of course people will have different
> opinions about starting a freeze now vs. later etc. too.
>
> thanks,
> Kevin.

*interesting*

Another approach, possibly better approach, is to see the LTS as the
final act following an ABI declaration/freeze.

We we declare the v20 ABI in DPDK 20.02, and hold that ABI until 21.02
including the v20.11 LTS. The LTS then becomes the cumulation of the ABI
freeze.

I didn't go this road, because of the community habit of pushing things
in just before the LTS, I thought it would be a bridge too far, and that
it would get considerable push back.