[dpdk-dev] [RFC] ethdev: rte_eth_rx_burst() requirements fornb_pkts

Morten Brørup mb at smartsharesystems.com
Fri Aug 28 11:03:59 CEST 2020

After thinking about it, and also inspired by Haiyue's comment in the other thread, this may be a good option. Configure the driver with the burst size that the application is going to use, so the driver can select the appropriate function. The driver could even select another vector function, optimized for the specific size.

It could be a field in the rte_eth_rxmode structure, which is part of the rte_eth_conf structure used in the rte_eth_dev_configure() function.

This would also make the nb_pkts in the rte_eth_rx_burst() obsolete. So we could add a function without the nb_pkts parameter.

Alternatively, we could introduce new variants of the rte_eth_rx_burst() function with fixed burst size, e.g. rte_eth_rx_burst32() to receive a burst of 32 packets, rte_eth_rx_burst64() for 64 packets, and rte_eth_rx_burst128(). Assuming that the performance difference beyond a certain vector size is insignificant, e.g. 128 packets, we don't need to add functions for larger vectors than that.

Or my suggestion here might just be a case of over-optimizing with insignificant performance benefits.

> scalar
> > > ones

> any
> > > check
> > > same
> the
> > > first

> that
> > > the branch predictor will cover the entire data path? I hear this
> > > argument over and over again, and by principle I disagree with it!
> > > >

> > > Fair enough, that was an assumption on my part. Do you see in your
> apps
> > > many cases where branches are getting mispredicted despite going
> the
> > > same
> > > way each time though the code?
> > >
> > We haven't looked deeply into this, but I don't think so.
> >
> > My objection is of a more general nature. As a library, DPDK cannot
> assume that applications using it are simple, and - based on that
> assumption - take away resources that could have been available for the
> application.
> >
> > The Intel general optimization guidelines specifies that code should
> be arranged to be consistent with the static branch prediction
> algorithm: make the fall-through code following a conditional branch be
> the likely target for a branch with a forward target, and make the
> fall-through code following a conditional branch be the unlikely target
> for a branch with a backward target.
> >
> > It also says: Conditional branches that are never taken do not
> consume BTB resources.
> >
> > Somehow this last detail is completely ignored by DPDK developers.
> >
> > We put a lot of effort into conserving resources in most areas in
> DPDK, but when it comes to the branch prediction target buffer (BTB),
> we gladly organize code with branches turning the wrong way, thus
> unnecessarily consuming BTB entries. And the argument goes: The branch
> predictor will catch it after the first time.
> >

> Looks like something to investigate more. Thanks for bringing this up.

> > > receiving/transmitting a single packet. The ring library has such
> > > functions.

> > > calling the burst functions with nb_pkts=1. Great for latency
> focused
> > > applications. :-)
> > > >
> > > That is another option, yes.
> > > A further option is to add to the vector code a one-off switch to
> check
> > > first
> > > time it's called that the request size is not lower than the min
> > > supported
> > > (again basing on the assumption that one is not going to be varying
> the
> > > burst size asked - which may not be true in call cases but won't
> leave
> > > us
> > > any worse off than we are now!).
> >
> > I certainly don't support this option. But it was worth mentioning.
> >

> Right. For now then, it seems like just documenting a minimum burst
> [...]

I agree. It is so far from the spirit of DPDK to call rte_eth_rx_burst() with a small nb_pkts that the driver developers didn't even consider it. The API documentation needs fixing, not the drivers.

It doesn't take care of your example 4 packet latency sensitive application, though. Which BTW also doesn’t work today on drivers with vector support. So it might not be a real world scenario anyway. :-)