[dpdk-dev] Permissions Required to Run DPDK/MLX5 as Non-Root User?

David Christensen drc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Feb 24 23:38:38 CET 2020

On 2/20/20 11:24 AM, David Christensen wrote:
> Running DPDK 20.02-rc3 and attempting to use the MLX5 PMD as a non-root
> user.  When starting testpmd I'm receiving the following error on both
> Power and x86_64 platforms (full output further down):
>
>    net_mlx5: probe of PCI device 0000:01:00.0 aborted after encountering
> an error: Operation not supported

Ended up with two answers:

1) Manually clean out /dev/hugepages.  Often encountered root owned
files left over from previous test runs, causing memory allocation
failures when DPDK couldn't use the name it wanted (rtemap_*).

2) Needed to manually add special permissions to dpdk-testpmd (thanks
Shahaf):
# setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin,cap_ipc_lock+eip
~/src/dpdk/build/app/dpdk-testpmd

Dave