[dpdk-dev] Using C11 atomic semantic

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Mon Jul 20 17:34:01 CEST 2020

In the techboard of April 22, it has been decided to block patches
using rte_atomicNN_xx and rte_smp_*mb APIs, starting DPDK 20.08.
Meeting minutes:
	http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-April/165143.html
Deprecation notice:
	http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/deprecation.html

Some doc has been submitted to help understanding how to manage atomics:
	http://doc	.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/writing_efficient_code.html#locks-and-atomic-operations

Unfortunately the tool to check new code was merged last week:
	http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/commit/?id=f1602b4a86

As a consequence, I propose to apply the "reject rule" starting DPDK 20.11.

Can we make this rule better advertised with an announce message?
Are the current technical explanations enough?
If not, it would be wonderful to have a blog post explaining the details,
as part of an announce.