[dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 23/07/2020

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Thu Jul 23 13:30:22 CEST 2020

Minutes 23 July 2020

* Release Dates
* -rc2 status
* Subtrees
* Opens

* Arm
* Broadcom
* Debian/Microsoft
* Intel
* Nvidia
* Red Hat

Release Dates

* v20.08 dates:
  * -rc2 is released on Tuesday, 21 July 2020
    * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/1917530.LKO7mAO0YJ@thomas/
  * -rc3:	    Wednesday, 29 July 2020
  * -rc4:	    Wednesday, 5 August 2020
  * Release pushed to *Friday, 7 August 2020*

* v20.11 proposal dates, please comment:
  * Proposal/V1:    Wednesday, 2 September 2020
  * -rc1:           Wednesday, 30 September 2020
  * -rc2:           Friday, 16 October 2020
  * Release:        Friday, 6 November 2020

  * Please remember to send roadmap for 20.11.

-rc2 status

* -rc2 is pretty new, released yesterday, not much test result yet

* Intel test team found an issue which may not be introduced with -rc2,
  still investigating, details will com later

* vhost performance drop not fixes, the last minute fix merged for -rc2 did not
  fix it. Maxime is working of it, may send a fix today.


* main
  * Not much fixes
    * A patch sent to fix the service core unit test
      * But it has new API, may be postponed to next release
      * Meanwhile not able to see the unit test issue for a while
  * Need to check/finalize deprecation notices
    * Also there are lots of deprecation notice target 20.11, may be good
      to go through them, offline or next meeting
    * Thomas is planning to send more deprecation notices
      * mbuf move some static fields to dynamic
      * remove legacy filter support
        * May need to confirm with PMD owners one list time
 * Need roadmaps for 20.11
   * Roadmaps can help maintainers to manage the workload for release
   * There is internal project management within vendors, but not for
     whole project, which is sometimes causing to much workload for

* next-net
  * Nothing critical/urgent at this point
  * Only fixes after this point, not much fixes in the backlog
  * Pulled from vendor trees but there are more for in their backlog

* next-crypto
  * 6-7 patches for -rc3, mostly PMDs, 1-2 performance optimization
  * There is multi process crypto application
    * It is not to test any new API, so no need to add a new app
    * But existing test applications not enough to cover all testing
    * Discussion going on in the mail list

* next-eventdev
  * No update

* next-virtio
  * Working on the performance issue
  * There are a few patches not reviewed yet, some are doc patches
  * On track for release

* next-net-mlx
  * There was a big patch postponed to -rc3, mxl5 pci, working on it
    * Need to discuss more in mail list, have some meson related issues

* next-net-brcm
  * On track, there a few patches remaining


* Bugzilla
  * There is one defect reported after -rc2
    * Not too much reported defects for this release
  * There are open defects needs attention

DPDK Release Status Meetings

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK

If you wish to attend just send an email to
"John McNamara <john.mcnamara at intel.com>" for the invite.

More information about the dev mailing list