[dpdk-dev] [RFC] replace master/slave with primary/secondary

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Fri Jun 5 19:45:10 CEST 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 17:10:05 +0000
"Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:

> >> I personally doubt such changes are needed at all.
> >> Code churn will be massive for both DPDK itself and related user projects.
> >> With no real gain in return, from my perspective.
> >> Konstantin
> >>

> > Your concern is valid but the issue does need to be addressed.
> > If now when? This is as a good a time as any to do it.
> >
> > Increasing diversity and inclusion is an overarching goal of many organizations
> > include my employer(Microsoft), the parent organization of DPDK(LF)
> > and my values.
> >
> > Following values is more important than minor replacement of text in API.
>
> I feel like Konstantin is correct here.
>
> If we were using these terms for humans or groups of humans, then I would agree they should be changed. We need to take into account the context of the reference to these words. I agree some words should never be used in any context, but these terms are very reasonable in the context of DPDK and networking.

Have to disagree, the words matter. This has been discussed many times.
Please look at the footnotes from the Gnome post

[0] - <https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/Language/NonSexist/vuw.non-sexist-language-guidelines.txt>, <https://twitter.com/justkelly_ok/status/933011085594066944>

[1] - <https://github.com/django/django/pull/2692>
[2] - <https://bugs.python.org/issue34605>

[3] - <https://github.com/rust-lang-deprecated/rust-buildbot/issues/2>, <https://github.com/rust-community/foss-events-planner/issues/58>