[dpdk-dev] Speed Capabilities Feature

Daniel Kirichok dkirichok at iol.unh.edu
Thu Jun 25 22:04:40 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:52 AM Morten Brørup <mb at smartsharesystems.com>
wrote:

> [...]
Dan >  After doing some rethinking, I intend to use a tool with similar
functionality to ethtool that is offered through the DPDK application.

> > created

> > speed is
> > is
>
> As I understand it, this test verifies that the speed capabilities
> reported by DPDK matches the expectations for that driver, where the
> expectations are in the cfg file. This is good.
>
> There is no need to require any minimum speed. DPDK should be allowed to
> support 10/100 Mbps Ethernet devices.

Dan > Thanks for the clarification, I will incorporate this into the test.

> > > LYL > This would become highly dependent on the NIC, and it's
> > > capabilities.  I have not had good luck with auto-neg on high speed
> > links
> > > like 10G SPF and higher. Similarly, high speed links would likely
> > > require a physical change (assuming the NIC supported multiple
> > speeds), to
> > > change either the module or the DAC.  We're trying to avoid anything
> > that
> > > would require physical changes that can't be forced through
> > > the tester (i.e. disable the port connected to the DUT for a link
> > down,
> > > etc.)
> >
> > At least, we can test that autonegotiation is establishing
> > a speed advertised in capabilities, right?
> >

> Tests to verify that the link actually comes up at the expected speeds
> would be nice too:
>
> Verify that 10/100/1000 Mbps copper Ethernet devices link up at the speed
> advertised by the tester using auto-negotiation, and at 10 and 100 Mbps
> half duplex when the tester doesn't provide auto-negotiation ("Parallel
> Detect" in IEEE 802.3 terminology). And similarly when the DUT sets the
> advertised capabilities.

Dan > We were thinking to cover this through checking the config file
depending on what the NIC is capable which could be multiple speeds, and
the speed it is currently linked at which would be one speed.

> Flow Control behavior should also be verified. If both tester and DUT
> advertise Flow Control, the driver should use Flow Control, and if tester
> and/or DUT advertises No Flow Control, the driver should not use flow
> control.

Dan > We were thinking to incorporate Flow Control behavior verification in
a separate test case than this one since it would need to be confirmed that
flow control is supported by the hardware before verifying for it.

I don't have a lot of experience with multi-speed modules above 1 Gbps, but

--

Dan Kirichok

UNH InterOperability Laboratory

21 Madbury Rd, Suite 100, Durham, NH 03824

dkirichok at iol.unh.edu

www.iol.unh.edu